Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bad timing

So I(Johnny) was going to write a little bit about the food, because we didn't really do much this past week that's very interesting.  The most exciting thing we've done is go to the movie theater last Saturday.  We watched The Descendants which fortunately was in English with Spanish subtitles.  The tickets are only about 5 dollars a person. Unlike theaters in the U.S. all of the seats are assigned when you buy the ticket.  I'll talk about the food when we truly have nothing else to say, but yesterday's events are worth mentioning.  So on our daily walk to work, we often see and hear lots of dogs either in the street or behind people's gaits.  Yesterday, as we were walking, there was another man about 50 feet ahead of us walking his dog.  When the neighborhood dogs see this, they all bark and get excited.  At that same time, a man was coming out of his gait.  As he opened it a very excited dog went before him.  Unfortunately, I was walking right in front of the gait when he opened it.  The excited dog immediately bit me on the leg and then returned back inside the gait.  I had no time to react.  I showed the man who opened the gait, but he kept walking.  I then called our boss at the university, and he came to help.  We talked to the owner and the police were called to fill out a report.  The police came and wanted to take me to a clinic to get it cleaned up.  I got to ride in a police truck (they drive pick-up trucks instead of cars).  We think the dog is healthy, so I hopefully won't have to get the rabies shots in the stomach.  We'll find out more tomorrow.  The bite was not serious, but it did break the skin.  It was just a quick, hard bite just below and to the left of my left knee.  I guess that's one way of leaning how to say "to bite" in Spanish.   If I start to foam at the mouth and go crazy, Amber will have to write the rest of the blog posts.

Interesting fact-The correct way to handle an aggressive dog in Ecuador:  With the exception of the very privileged dogs, every dog in Ecuador has had a rock thrown at it at least once in its life.  What you're supposed to do if a dog is being aggressive is to pick up a rock and act like you're going to throw it at it.  They almost always cowers and back down.  If there are no rocks around, then just pretend like you picked up a rock and are about to throw it at it.  They don't know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment